In Ghana, the Kotokoli come from the northern part of the Volta Region in Kuoe. Kuoe shares a border with Togo with a small river of the same name separating it from Togo.
The Kotokoli live in the West African countries of Togo, Ghana and Benin. In Togo, they are concentrated in towns such as Sokode, which is located along one of Togo’s ancient caravan routes.
Sokode, meaning “too close,” derived its name because the town was frequently isolated by barriers built by tribal groups trying to control the caravan trade.
The Kotokoli emigrated from what is now Burkina Faso into the Sokode region during the 1600s and 1700s. They arrived as a confederation of Gurma chiefdoms. Even today, the Kotokoli chief, or Uro, still resides in Sokode.
Tem (Temba), or Kotokoli (Cotocoli), is a Gur language spoken in Togo, Ghana, and Benin.
Polygyny (having multiple wives) is permitted among the Kotokoli. However, according to Muslim law, a man must not have more than four wives. The first wife enjoys a superior status over the other wives. Each wife lives in a separate hut.
Below are 40 Kotokoli names and their meaning for your consideration.
1. Abimo Isso – If Alha permit/ By the will or wish of God
2. Chaa-mola – A man of mola
3. Chaa-kooli – A man of kooli
4. Chakifenbi – Seek for goodness
5. Deeziti – Believer
6. Disolidama – Let’s love ourselves
7. Doworo-natidti – Back is peaceful
8. Folibaazi – Start early
9. Iraa-tei – People are unwilling
10. Isso-nyina – God knows
11. Isso-rom – Innocent
12. Isso-temaa – God’s protection
13. Isso-vaale – God’s gift
14. Lakozor – Do good
15.La-ngoboo – Do to your brother/sister
16. Lanzii-nyadti – Do it to yourself
17. Lawene-nyine – Assist those who appreciate.
18. Maazi-chere – Think of tomorrow
19. Nkala-gutulu kujow – Don’t sacrifice for ingrate
20. Se-iro – Fear man
21. Slombbu – An orphan
22. Solingobu – Love your neighbor
23. Suuru – Patience
24. Suuru-chaakaza – Patience is good
25. Tuuma-movoonya – Insult me, but I shall follow you
26.Beemor- Issor God’s Will
27.Ayerner – Joy
28.Kazorlando – Good doer
29.Arziki – Wealth
30.Sorlem – Love
31.Sorlezamor – Love people
32. Senado – Helper
33. Nkatekina – Don’t touch
34. Nkaforose – Don’t spoil (destroy)
35. Signa-Issor – Be with God
36. Issor- Wordoorma – God is enough for me
37. Weena- Issor – Cry to God
38. Talena-Issor – Leave to God
39. Senado – Helper
40. Maazi – Kifendti Think goodness
Thanks for reading today’s news from GHKasa and we urge you to spread this news across the various social media networks and do follow us on our social media platforms as well. on; Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram and more for the latest news over the web.